A Grading Experiment

My Experience: 
I have no real experience in grading books. I can certainly look at a book and tell the difference between a low and high grade book. However, I do not have the confidence to look at a book and differentiate or assign a 9.4, 9.6, or 9.8 grade.  

My Experiment Methodology: 
  • I bought a 'graded' book from a LCS that I wanted to compare against the grading tool housed at www.comicbookrealm.com (CBR)
  • I have no knowledge of the grading experience of the individual at the LCS so just using what they provided as a baseline.
  • I also don't know if the CBR tool covers everything related to grading (you don't know what you don't know) 
The Victim: 
  • Amazing Spider-Man #316 - First Cover Appearance of Venom 
  • Graded as FN+ (6.5) 



The Process: 
  • The grading tool at CBR can be found as an option at the top masthead of the website 
  • It contains 38 steps that will take you 5-10 minutes based on how long you go through the images 
  • I think having grading experience or simple knowledge of grading categories will make the process much smoother 

A Couple Imperfections: 
  • I documented several key defects of the book; some lifting when laying flat, cream internal pages, and some corner bends of internal pages. 






The Verdict: 
  • After taking an honest approach through the 38 steps I came up with a rating of 6.0 - very close to the grade from the store
  • I had an 8.0 for quite a while until the topic of spine roll and flatness of the book came into play - this dropped it all the way to 6.0 
  • This was a big drop, however, it makes me think that I can improve the rating one day with a good pressing (now I just have to figure out how to do that or pay to have it done) 
  • Fun exercise but I still think it would be hard to differentiate between NM books 
  • Next Step: At some point I plan to purchase the Overstreet grading book just to learn more about the overall technique 









Comments

  1. Doing it yourself, I think you did rather well. Coming within a half point, is about as close as it comes. I made a trade with Brucifer on cbr, and had my book pegged as a 6.5, but after his assessment and using the tool, it was a 6.0 the same. I offered to square up the difference, but we met in the middle, and I will return more business his way in the future.
    -Spector

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts