It Came From the Reading Pile - Reviews #1

Like most of you I have a backlog of comics that need to be read. As I work through my stack I wanted to do snapshot reviews of the books. Most of these reviews will come from new comics,  but once in a while I will throw in some older books.

Starting out using a carrot scale of 1-5 to measure the overall book - people seem to like ratings.

This is also a labor of love for my daughter and I - to not only share a common interest but to also encourage her to read and write. So here it goes and we welcome any feedback or improvements you may have.

1. The Batman Who Laughs #6
Publisher: DC
Story: Scott Snyder
Art: Jock
Cover Artist: Jenny Frison

This has been a great series; but I don't like that it is making me feel old! I not only keep forgetting what happens in previous issues but the red font used in the book is really hard to read. The red on white background is fine, but the red on black is a pain - and maybe that is being done on purpose. Maybe the red pain in the symbolizes the character - you tell me. I think this series is a great hold in your collection as years from now people will be looking for the entire set.

The Frison card stock cover is beautiful and very glossy so it really pops. Art and story are both on point and can't wait to finish this one up.
🥕🥕🥕🥕 out of 5




2. Middlewest #6 
Publisher: Image
Story: Skottie young
Art: Jorge Corona
Cover Art: Mike Huddleston

A young boy with great powers is running away from his dad and gains a new family in a traveling circus. There is some mystery in the book and it has been building towards a showdown between father and son. This has been somewhat of a slow read and I think some missed opportunities with life on the road. It almost feels like the show Carnival from HBO.

Hoping it picks up and looking forward to the anticipated showdown. But once that happens then what?

The art is whimsical and you end up liking the characters. I will keep reading a couple of more issues to see if it picks up.
🥕🥕🥕 out of 5




3. Venom #7
Publisher: Marvel
Story: Donny Cates
Art: Ryan Stegman

This Cates run on Venom has been nothing short of fantastic. The introduction of new characters and origins has brought a lot of interest to the character. This issue is no exception as it contained a great reveal and the first appearance of Dylan Brock.

I kept laughing at The Maker villain in the book, he had this huge beehive helmet - it looks so uncomfortable to wear - but maybe he has to wear it as part of an endorsement deal. The art and writing are both fantastic and I realize that I am way behind on this run so have to catch up.
🥕🥕🥕🥕🥕 out of 5






4. Test #1 
Publisher: Vault
Story: Chris Sebela
Art: Jen Hickman

Like many independent books, there is a lot of set up involved with a #1 issue. This book was no exception. This is about a human guinea pig that has been put through countless government/corporate tests and is searching for a mystic town. He finds the town only to encounter more problems. There seems to be a lot of mystery and potential, however, neither the art nor writing grabbed me.

I originally grabbed this book due to the sweet variant homage cover. It seems like Vault is doing this with all of their recent #1 issues. Not sure I will keep reading.
🥕🥕🥕 out of 5





#5 True Believer Carnage U.S.A.
Publisher: Marvel
Story: Zeb Wells
Art: Clayton Crain

This is a reprint of Carnage, U.S.A (2011)

I was not collecting comics when this came out and it was a fun read. I bought the True Believer with the goal of reading and then donating to my wife's first grade classroom - that wont be happening as it was a little violent- kind of. The art is a fantastic painted style.

I can't tell if the book contains any blood but there are some creepy scenes such as Carnage coming up the bath tub. Carnage taking over some of the avengers.

There is a great back and forth between our heroes where they make fun of The Thing - him and his ever loving blue eyes.

This is certainly worth reading if you missed it. Its also only a dollar!
🥕🥕🥕🥕 out of 5


Stay tuned for more from the reading pile.

Comments

  1. My Comic Stack is a great idea for a blog, so congrats! I also like the carrot stick rating of the comics. I think the variety of comics you have here is great and will generate interest because you have something for everyone. I've been reading The Batman Who Laughs, and my LCS gave me a sampler of Middlewest that contained the first three issues. They were pretty good, but who can afford to buy everything they like, right? I hope you have lots of fun doing this and much success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice variety of comics! Great first post. I'm not a fan of the Spider books, but I didn't know that Carnage U.S.A. had Clayton Crain on art. . .one of my favorites, so you've poked me into looking out for that one. I'm looking forward to more from your Comic Stack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend MacheteF7 on CBR is a big Middlewest fan/collector too. I need to that out eventually. I agree with Crain's art. He wasn't even on my radar until fairly recently. Great site and blog. Congrats on getting it up!
    -Spector

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Spector, looking forward to belonging to this great community.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts